DELAND - The Department of Education is waiving a portion of the missed instructional time due to Hurricane Irma, which means Volusia County Schools will only need to make up one full day and cancel three early release days to be in compliance with state law.
The following changes will be made to the 2017-18 school calendar:
· Add October 16, originally scheduled as a teacher duty day/student holiday, as a student day and the last day of the grading period
· Cancel three early release days and use that time for instruction: December 6, 13 and 20
Other important information:
· September 27 - Midterm period ends
· September 29 – Midterm report distribution
· October 16 – First grading period ends
· October 17 – First day of second grading period begins
· October 23 - Grades available on ParentPortal
· October 27 –Report card distribution
The decision to not impact holidays was made because personal and family time is important in returning to normalcy.