[Application Instructions]- applications at the bottom
Developed by the FUTURES Foundation for Volusia County Schools, Tomorrow’s Leaders is a leadership training program designed for high school juniors. Through a series of structured activities and events, Tomorrow’s Leaders participants meet and interact with community leaders who share their thoughts, concerns and hopes about current issues, community resources and various factors impacting the future of Volusia County. Tomorrow’s Leaders prepares students for constructive leadership, responsible citizenship and active participation in the affairs of Volusia County and beyond.
The six-month program begins in October with a mandatory orientation session for students and parents. Each month thereafter, students attend a seminar focusing on a specific topic, such as the Arts, Criminal Justice, Social Services, Healthcare, Government and Education. During each seminar, students interact with community leaders who share insights on goal setting, effective communication, time management, motivation, human behavior and other aspects of effective leadership.
Throughout the Tomorrow’s Leaders program, students are challenged in their understanding and awareness of the complexities of relationships, teamwork and problem solving. Skills, perspectives and relationships gained during the program will help students set and achieve personal and professional goals, and better prepare them to assume leadership positions.
Criteria for Selection
It is anticipated no more than 40 students from Volusia County’s 10 public high schools will be selected to participate. Applicants must meet the following minimum requirements:
* Must remit your application to your principal by noon on Friday, Sept. 7th.
* Must be a junior enrolled at a Volusia County public high school
* Must be capable of making up any class work missed during five to six excused school absences to attend seminars
* Must arrange their own excused absences with college professors if dual enrolled
* Must demonstrate leadership potential
* Must be self-reliant and responsible
* Must be able to meet the program time commitment
* Must have parental/guardian consent to participate
* Must make their own travel arrangements to and from seminar’s starting location (point-to-point transportation during seminars will be provided on a Volusia County School District bus or charter bus).
* Must have their application approved by their high school principal
Criteria for Completion
To successfully complete the Tomorrow’s Leaders program, participants must:
* Attend the mandatory Orientation session on Monday, Oct. 22, 2018, from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Auditorium at Mainland High School in Daytona Beach
* Attend and actively participate in each of our day-long seminars November through April (Tentative dates are Nov. 14, Dec. 4, Jan. 10, Feb. 7 & Feb. 28)
* Complete 12 hours of school-based and/or community-based volunteer service during the program
* Complete and submit evaluation forms following each seminar
* Submit a reflective essay at the conclusion of the program
* Attend the mandatory Graduation Reception Tuesday, April 16, 2019 from 5 to 7 p.m. in the Auditorium at DeLand High School
*Application deadline is Friday September 7th. Please email your application to Mrs. Alves, assistant principal at [email protected]
- (181.0 KBs)
- (69.0 KBs)
- (247.9 KBs)